Don't think that warm weather means that you don't have to worry about cold and flu.
The survey also revealed that many Americans heeded the warnings about H1N1 -; in fact, 95 percent of respondents said they took proactive steps to avoid cold and flu this winter. And those who took proactive steps to defend themselves against the flu shouldn't stop now.
"It's important to remember that preparation and early treatment are the best defenses against the common cold, which can strike year round," noted Dr. Tim Tucker, Pharm.D., FAPhA, and immediate past president of the American Pharmacists Association.
Dr. Tucker recommends acting as soon as cold and flu symptoms become apparent. "Zinc products, such as Zicam Cold Remedy, can reduce the duration of your cold if taken within the first 24 to 48 hours after the onset of symptoms," said Dr. Tucker.
In addition to basic precautions, like getting enough rest, taking a daily multivitamin, drinking fluids and washing hands, Zicam Cold Remedy offers additional tips to help you stay healthy all year:
1. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, and clean frequently touched surfaces, such as keyboards and door knobs.
2. Eat a balanced diet, and avoid sugar. Do treat yourself to dark chocolate, as it contains antioxidants and mood-boosters.
3. Exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes a day. Regular exercise strengthens the immune system.
4. Avoid stress. Setting a hectic schedule can cause immune-weakening stress and fatigue and interfere with your ability to get enough rest.
5. Relax. Recharge your batteries at least once a day, even if only for 10 or 15 minutes.
For more information, visit www.zicam.com.